- Click here for the full list of marriageable Skyrim characters and comprehensive Skyrim marriage guide.
Erik the Slayer
“Is that an Amulet of Mara? I’m surprised someone like you isn’t spoken for. – [Interested in me, are you?] – Well, yes. Why wouldn’t I be? Are you… interested in me?”Erik the slayer’S mARRIAGE DIALOGUE
- Gender: Male
- Race: Nord
- Class: Barbarian
- Faction: Potential member of The Blades
- Location: Frostfruit Inn in Rorikstead
- Trainer: No
- Follower: Yes
When I started doing research for this guide, several of the online lists of marriageable characters included Erik The Slayer. When I tried marrying him for myself though, I couldn’t get him to acknowledge my Amulet of Mara and trigger the marriage dialogue, even with our relationship at friendship level and with him as my follower.
I did some Googling and it turns out I’m not the only one who’s struggled. Eventually, I managed to unlock the marriage option through a console command, as I’m playing on PC. I’ll include this method below, I’m sorry for those people playing on console that I don’t have a method to unlock marriage with Erik at this time. Please comment with any suggestions if you have managed to marry Erik the Slayer on Console.
It’s a pity that Erik isn’t more easily available for marriage because he’s a great character. As a follower he’s profficient in Light Armor and Two-Handed. He can be recruited to join The Blades. He has a lot of dialogue while adventuring, often commenting on locations.
He also has a touching real life backstory. The character is based on Erik West, an Elder Scrolls fan who visited Bethesda Studios as part of a Make A Wish event during his cancer treatment. Apparently he impressed the studio so much with his knowledge of Oblivion that as well as giving him an indepth tour of their headquarters, they also memorialised him in the character of Erik the Slayer, named after Erik and his online alias Immok The Slayer. Sadly, Erik passed away six months before the release of Skyrim.
How to Marry Erik the Slayer
- Purchase an Amulet of Mara from Maramal in Riften. If you haven’t visited Riften before you’ll find Maramal in The Bee and Barb, otherwise try the Temple of Mara.
- Make sure you’ve discussed marriage with Maramal (dialogue won’t trigger otherwise).
- Locate Erik in Rorikstead, likely in the Frostfruit Inn.
- Talk to Erik (who at this point is only called Erik, and not ‘Erik The Slayer’) and he’ll tell you that he wants to be an adventurer but his father won’t let him.
- Speak to Erik’s father Mralki and convince him though either intimidation, bribery or persuasion to buy Erik some armor from Whiterun. Go back and tell Erik the good news.
- Visit the Inn after a few days and Erik will be now wearing the new armor and will be called Erik the Slayer, rather than Just Erik. You can now recruit Erik as a follower for 500 gold.
- Once Erik is recruited as a follower, while standing in front of him, press the tilde key (~) to open the console.
- When in the console, click on Erik and then type in the following command: addfac 19809 1
- Leave console by pressing ~ again. Wear the Amulet of Mara and talk to your beloved. The marriage dialogue option will now be available – “Interested in me, are you?”.
- After agreeing to get married, visit Maramal again and he will set the date for your wedding for the next day. Walk outside and wait 24 hours.
- Walk back into the temple of Mara. Your spouse will be present and the wedding ceremony will commence.