- Click here for the full list of marriageable Skyrim characters and comprehensive Skyrim marriage guide.
“Is that an Amulet of Mara? I’m surprised someone like you isn’t spoken for. – [Interested in me, are you?] – Well, yes. Why wouldn’t I be? Are you… interested in me?”Lydia’s mARRIAGE Dialogue
- Gender: Female
- Race: Nord
- Class: Warrior
- Faction: Potential member of The Blades
- Location: Dragonsreach in Whiterun
- Trainer: No
- Follower: Yes
Ah Lydia, love her or hate her Lydia is one potential spouse that has probably been interacted with by more players more than any other. Or at the very least, the Housecarl from Whiterun is likely one of the first followers that you’ve spent time with. This is mainly because you meet her so early in the main questline.
Whether or not you want to marry Lydia is most likely going to come down to personal preference (as is any marriage choice in Skyrim). There are some players who are absolutely sick of her and bemoan her habit of blocking you by standing around in doorways. Other people are completely attached to her having spent 100s of hours adventuring together.
Luckily for those in the latter category, you can easily marry Lydia and take your relationship to the next level. As soon as you meet her she is basically a marriage candidate straight away as you only meet her when she has already been presented to you as Housecarl after completing the quest Dragon Rising and becoming Thane.
How to Marry Lydia
- Complete the quest Dragon Rising, which is given to you by the Jarl of Whiterun when you first visit Dragonsreach, by defeating your first dragon.
- Return to Dragonsreach and speak with the Jarl and he will make you Thane of Whiterun. He will appoint Lydia as your Housecarl.
- You can now recruit Lydia as your follower and she is also a marriage candidate who can be married via the usual method.
- Purchase an Amulet of Mara from Maramal in Riften. If you haven’t visited Riften before you’ll find Maramal in The Bee and Barb, otherwise try the Temple of Mara.
- Make sure you’ve discussed marriage with Maramal (dialogue won’t trigger otherwise), wear the Amulet of Mara and go talk to your beloved. The marriage dialogue option will now be available – “Interested in me, are you?”.
- After agreeing to get married, visit Maramal again and he will set the date for your wedding for the next day. Walk outside and wait 24 hours.
- Walk back into the temple of Mara. Your spouse will be present and the wedding ceremony will commence.